A family favorite
When my family was completely dairy-free, I had to find a recipe for biscuits that we all liked. I tried many biscuits and I finally found this recipe from the minimalist baker blog. I liked them, but I rolling out the dough and all the extra steps had to go so that they are super easy to make and became our Super Easy Vegan Biscuits.
I didn’t know biscuits existed until I moved to the United States at the tender age of 22. My host family introduced them to me, and my host dad was born and raised in Texas. He knew how to make biscuits.
I believe the secret is to use ice-cold butter and to work quickly. And this recipe proves my theory.
My family hopes you will enjoy these Super Easy Vegan Biscuits
Super Easy Vegan Biscuits
- Wooden Spoon
- Cookie Sheet
- Pastry Cutter / dough blender or two knives
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1` cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 tbsp non-dairy butter (earth balance)
- Preheat the oven to 450F (230 C)
- In a small bowl mix the lemon juice with the almond milk and set aside. This is your "vegan buttermilk:
- In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Add cold cutter, that you cut into smaller pieces. Take the pasty cutter and combine the butter with the mixture until it has like sandy texture. Do not overwork the dough.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour mixture. Using your wooden spoon, gently stir in the almond milk 1/4 cup at a time. Mix until you get a tacky dough that won't stick to the walls of the bowl.
- In the bowl divide the dough into 8 pieces. Take once piece, roll it quickly into a ball in the palm of your hand and flatten it. Put in on a prepared cookie sheet. I use silicone mats
- Now gently press a small divot in the biscuit with your finger and brush with melted butter. The divot will help the biscuit to rise evenly.
- Bake for 10-15mins or until they are slightly golden brown.
- Enjoy with jam or gravy